WorldCat Knowledge Base Functionality Has Now Been Integrated Into WorldCat
Electronic content is now easier to find, use and manage, as a result of WorldCat knowledge base enhancements to OCLC services. Now your library can provide fast and easy resource sharing for your electronic resources. WorldCat knowledge base functionality is included as part of your OCLC Cataloging subscription.
WorldCat knowledge base combines data about a library’s electronic content and linking features that enable access to the content such as journal articles and eBooks. Knowledge base data is added and maintained in a single place for use with a growing number of OCLC (and in the future non-OCLC) services. These enhancements will continue to create opportunities for libraries to better manage print and electronic collections together.
Quick and easy resource sharing for your electronic content
WorldCat Resource Sharing and ILLiad subscribers are the first to benefit from knowledge base enhancements, including:
- More efficient request for articles. In many cases staff can complete a loan transaction from their workstation.
- Time savings for staff and reduced turnaround time for users from days to minutes.
- Reduced loan requests for electronic items your library already owns.
Please visit WorldCat Resource Sharing for more information about resource sharing for electronic resources.
In the future
- WorldCat Local users will have one-click access to electronic resources such as full-text articles and eBooks.
- OCLC cataloging subscribers will be able to create knowledge base profiles to automatically set holdings for electronic materials—including eBooks—eliminating the need to do so on a case-by-case basis.
- OCLC will work with content providers to harvest data directly into WorldCat knowledge base, saving time and effort for libraries.
- A knowledge base API will be made available to provide programmatic access to these services, allowing members to create their own unique solutions. The API will also be available for use with external electronic content services.
How it works
The knowledge base is comprised of collection, title and holdings data and linking logic. The knowledge base uses an associated license management tool to connect to a library’s license data. Please visit WorldCat knowledge base for more information.
How to implement WorldCat knowledge base
A full OCLC cataloging subscription is required to use WorldCat knowledge base functionality. WorldCat knowledge base is included in an OCLC Cataloging subscription at no additional charge.
To utilize WorldCat knowledge base, a library needs to complete and submit a request form, add data about their electronic collections to the knowledge base and activate the functionality from within the Service Configuration module. There are two options for adding a library’s data to the knowledge base:
- A profiling interface is available to knowledge base administrators to add and maintain a library’s electronic holdings.
- A data loading process is available for libraries that have an existing knowledge base and would like to continue to manage electronic collections in the existing system. The data load process gives your library the ability to use your current knowledge base along with the WorldCat knowledge base.
Submitting the request form is the first step toward utilizing WorldCat knowledge base functionality. Your library will be assigned an implementation manager to help you through the process.
Information about how to implement use of WorldCat knowledge base is available on the OCLC Web site.